CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day 1


All I felt was the power that grasped my arm tightly and dragged me away from home. It all happened too fast, five minutes ago I was with mother, and now, a prisoner on the truck of death, leading my life to a soldier. Trembling and sweating I sat, trying to figure if I could escape. I was lucky enough to have Lolo and Ignacio with me, but not so lucky to be in a truck with many killer weapons. My heart pounded as we got closer to the mountains, and my only choice to live was to become a soldier. Joining the army was the last thing I wanted, but I had no other option. I was terrified to escape, only knowing the consequence for that would be death. As mad as I was, I couldn’t find the guts to stand up for myself. I felt insecure, out of the boundaries of home, where no one could hear my cries. Forcing myself to become part of the rebel army was the hard part, and now I was known as a revolutionist. I didn’t want to be a human slaughterer. Just the thought of that gave me fears. How could they do this? I asked myself, I felt the urge to escape, but looking around, I had no chance. I looked in Lolo’s eyes and immediately sensed fear. The surroundings were horrifying. Anything coming in, and going out had to be thoroughly checked. It seemed safe from the outside, but inside was what I was afraid of. No one trusted each other with their confidences and friendships, but knowing Lolo and Ignacio were with me did make it feel better, except, not entirely. The thought of having our own guns was somewhat difficult. I was afraid handling an AK-47 would change me as a person. These weapons were designed for death. Knowing I had my own made it worse, I felt a huge weight over my body just handling one, but as a soldier I had to do what I was told otherwise I would soon ‘disappear’ like the others.


http://homepages.wmich.edu/~acareywe/images/childsoldiers.jpg

0 comments: